If you’ve ever wanted to offer PR services to your clients but you’ve never really known what PR is or how to offer it, this is the episode for you.
Jules Brooke is one of Australia’s top publicists and PR coaches. She specialises in helping SMEs do their own PR so they can get free coverage in print, press on radio, TV and online.
In this podcast we talk about how to:
- write and structure a media release – paragraph by paragraph – and ideal word length
- pitch your story to a journalist
- write an introductory email and script for pitching on the phone
- come up with a range of story angles
- format your media releases to get maximum attention and avoid rookie errors
- find the right journalist to target
- niche your copywriting service and find the right publication to target
- follow up with a journalist, how often and what you need to say
- find trade shows and industry events at which to network
- get free coverage and appearances on TV shows (especially the morning shows)
- charge the right fee for your PR services
- set up a retainer agreement and what that monthly fee should cover
Jules is the founder of Handle Your Own PR, a DIY PR service for business owners, and has been teaching people how to get media coverage for their business for over 10 years.
Handle Your Own PR has helped thousands of small business owners make millions of dollars’ worth of media exposure by running their own PR campaigns. Using her online boot camps, coaching and PR SaaS platform, Jules’ students have been on TV, radio and been featured in magazines and newspapers nationally. Many have gone on to huge success in their business.
The She's The Boss community, founded by Jules, has grown since the start of the pandemic in 2020. There are regular zoom lunches with women around the country every second Friday (#noagenda although a lot of business is done and connections are made) and once a month a guest speaker in invited to host our online Learning Table events. Jules also produces a podcast called She’s The Boss Chats and a She’s The Boss YouTube channel featuring interviews with wildly successful women in business from Australia and around the world.
Jules is on a mission to help make women more visible. Particularly business women over 45, She also wants to showcase all the incredible women that are changing the world with their businesses.